Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fall



The sunflowers are no longer yellow, but the birds still like them. This male goldfinch is no longer a bright pretty yellow. Sure sign of fall.

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday



Now on to some Hodge Podge...

1. It's fall. Y'all. My favorite season of the year! What's something you love to do this time of year that makes you feel it's officially fall? And unrelated to that, do you ever say-'y'all'?

I remember having weiner roasts in the fall. Dad would build a fire and cut sticks to hang the hot dogs and marshmallows on. When we first moved south, we used to use Y'all just for fun. Needless to say, it wasn't long until it was used daily. You Guys was no more.

2. When did you last have a falling out with someone? Has it been resolved?


I haven't had a falling out with anyone that I can think of, but someone seems to have had a falling out with me. I only live 1/2 mile from work, so I often walk. Once an older cousin of mine stopped by the house and since my car was home decided I was not answering the door for them. I tried to explain, but I don't think they believe me.

3. A song you love with the word 'fall' in it's title?


A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy


This song makes me sad. Reminds me of the guy I was madly in love with in high school. Do we ever forget that first fella?



4. What's something you've recently let 'fall by the wayside?'


My mind...can't think of anything.

5. When did you last attend an event, read a book, watch a movie, try a new recipe, or visit a shop-town-tourist attraction that fell short of your expectations? In what way?


I tried reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini but couldn't make myself continue after 3 chapters. Everyone else seems to like it, but I just couldn't get interested.

6. Describe a time you said or thought, 'The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

Recently. Last weekend I was dancing with Mrs. Mop (cleaning) and started singing a tune. Fergus looked at me and took off like a bear was after him. I went to see what was wrong with him and found him cowering in his crate. I posted this on Facebook and my daughter's response..."Now I know where I get my singing voice." To which my sister-in-law responded, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." 

7. Was today better than yesterday? Why or why not?

Since it is early, I'm hoping the answer is yes. Lots of work yesterday. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


A Jury trial starts today, so probably won't be able to comment much. I hate it when I can't get around to return comments, but sometimes I just can't. :(


Linking to Wednesday Hodgepodge

17 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Life? It surely gets in the way of visiting blogs and leaving comments. We all understand...y'all!!

LOL

#s 4 and 6. Great answers. Poor Fergus.

Sarah said...

It's that time of year here in England too although we call it Autumn.

The apples really are falling from the tree at the farm and I've been picking up windfalls all week.

I haven't taken part in Rubbish Tuesday for a couple of weeks so I guess that's fallen by the wayside a little but I'll look out for something to post next week x

April said...

Maybe the jury trial won't drag on too long and you can get back to doing what you enjoy...like blogging!

TexWisGirl said...

awww. poor fergus! :) yup, y'all seeps in after a few (30) years of life in texas. you guys would get me deported.

King Talk 100 said...

Arg! Don't you get frustrated when you did nothing wrong and someone still gets offended?!

Stephanie said...

Poor Fergus and I seem to be using that expression quite a bit this past summer in conversation, The apple does not fall from the tree. Have a great day!

Ida said...

Goodness those little finches almost blended into their surroundings. The sunflowers look a bit weary. Fall has arrived. Loved your barn shot below.

BumbleVee said...

the birds are so well hidden in amongst the flowers and seeds aren't they? a perfect time to forage...

A Colorful World said...

Had to laugh about your dog cowering because of your singing! :-) I either hum or whistle when I'm happy. I didn't realize it but I got the whistling thing from my Dad. I was at my Mom's less than two years after he died, and was in the kitchen whistling while doing something and Mom asked me to stop. She said it reminded her too much of Dad. That's when I realized I'd gotten it from him...he used to come home whistling and the sound of it made us all so happy. It's interesting the things we inherit.

Love the fall photo! Have a great week!

Beth said...

I love the fall of the year. My favorite season.

Joyce said...

I haven't read that particular book of his, but I loved two others he wrote. I have And The Mountains Echoed on my to-read list, but his books are so heavy and always leave me a little melancholy. They stay with me for weeks, so I need to be in the right frame of mind to pick one up.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The sunflowers are unrecognizable. And the little goldfinch is right there. A sad, yet beautiful picture. I know fall is here when I get very sick from my fall allergies! But still, I MUST decorate! Yes, it's Fall, all Y'all! I was raised in the north, but have lived in the south for 44 years. So I am for sure a real southerner! And I love it!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the jury.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful autumn picture. It really captures "fall".
Y'all. My family is all from the South. I am first generation Northerner. When we moved down South for part of my childhood, I picked up "Y'all". I was a kid, and kids are impressionable that way. The schools there insisted on Ma'am and Sir, too. When I moved back up to Chicago, I really took grief (even from teachers) for Y'all, Ma'am and Sir!

Rose said...

That with Fergus is hilarious...thank you for the chuckle. (Just so you know, he would do the same if he heard me sing. I love to sing, but is not something I do in public!)

Unknown said...

Both are still very pretty.

eileeninmd said...

Love the Goldfinches! I hope the trial does not last too long.. Enjoy your day!