Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A Bird and a Podge

Pigeon on Beale Street

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday


And now for the Podge...

1.  Speaking of 180...when was the last time you 'did a 180' on something?

With regard to decisions, I can't think of the last time. I normally stand by my initial reaction. However, when it comes to taking pictures while driving. I do 180s all the time. 

2. It's Independence Week in the US of A! What's your favorite thing about America right this very minute? Favorites only! Let's hear what you love about America.

Spacious skies, amber waves of grain, purple mountain majesties, and those fruited plains.

If you're playing along today, and you're not an American but have been to America, what do/did you like best about this country? If you've never been to America, do you have any desire to visit? What's the number one thing you'd like to see?

N/A

3. Stars or stripes? Red, white, or blue? Watermelon, homemade vanilla ice cream, or blueberry pie?

The stars at night are big and bright! Oops guess I lived in Texas too long.  Blue as in my daughter's and my son's eyes. Watermelon, but would readily enjoy my share of the other two.

4. When did you last see stars, figuratively speaking?

I equate 'seeing stars' with injuries, so guess it was 3 years ago when I fell down the steps and broke both ankles. 

5.  'Clear as a bell', 'with bells on',  'lots of bells and whistles', 'saved by the bell'...which phrase 'rings' truest for you lately?  Have you ever seen The Liberty Bell?

I have seen the Liberty Bell. I actually used the phrase "with bells on" yesterday. Hubs asked if I was going with him to work in the garden. I responded, "of course, with bells on!" Now go back and read it with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

6. Are you caught up in World Cup fever? Have you watched a lot or a little or none at all?

At first, yes. Now, not so much.

7. Bid farewell to June in 10 words or less.

Goodbye June. See you next year.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

So, I got to thinking about the word HODGEPODGE. Does anyone remember Orthography? Okay, so I'm aging myself. It's the study of language. It was one of my favorite subjects in Junior High. Anyway I looked up hodge which means "an English Rustic or farm laborer" and thenI looked up podge which means "a short fat person". Hmm Hodgepodge, a short fat farmer? No, when you stick the two words together, you get "a mixture of different things".  Okay, so my brain is a little skewed in its thinking sometimes. But, hey that was my random thought.

Linking to Wednesday Hodgepodge

22 comments:

Joyce said...

I think the expression with bells on is often uttered with a teaspoon of sarcasm : ) Enjoy your July 4th weekend!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Nice pigeon!

That 180 question is hard!

Carole M. said...

a unique capture!

Sarah said...

Water melon for me too. I last saw stars last summer when my daughter accidently headbutted me and broke my nose - not quite as bad as both ankles but it really hurt!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh....this was an incredible hodgepodge and your answers are fabulous!!! TWO broken ankles...Now that's GOTTA hurt. It hurt me just reading it. Screaming SOB woulda been what I said, not to mention seeing stars.

LOVED the 180 and birds...and that pigeon photo is outstanding.

I truly, TRULY loved this post.

Beth said...

That is a great photo!

retired not tired said...

With your love of playing with words you should visit http://bygadventures.blogspot.com/
for Pondering on Thursdays. She looks for words with more than one meaning.

WW said...

It's interesting to go from short fat farmer to a mix of things. I like a mix of things better, Wednesday Short, Fat Farmer, just doesn't sound as great.

Debby Ray said...

The colors on that pigeon are awesome! Can I have watermelon AND blueberry pie (with vanilla ice cream on top)...gotta have the red, white and blue!

Debby Ray said...

The colors on that pigeon are awesome! Can I have watermelon AND blueberry pie (with vanilla ice cream on top)...gotta have the red, white and blue!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I loved reading all your answers in this post and also think that pigeon shot is great.

TexWisGirl said...

pidge and hodge. :)

loved the pigeon on the fountain. laughed at the 'deep in the heart...' bit. :)

Gillian Olson said...

Great picture, love the composition and the word play too.

Halcyon said...

Ugh! I hate pigeons (or skyrats as I call them). At least he doesn't seem to be bothering anyone... ;-)

Ida said...

What a great shot of the Pigeon in the fountain.
I hate watermelon (makes me sick to my stomach) so I'll take the Ice Cream and the Blue berries.
I pretty much love all of America except for the fact that so many people here now have the "it's all about me" attitude.

Cranberry Morning said...

A Pigeon and a Podge. Nice! I don't know why everyone doesn't love them. You broke both ankles?? That is nasty! And about your random, no, it's not your brain that's the problem. It's the crazy inconsistent English language. When I look at the word orthography, I see bones and writing. English is definitely confusing.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is when our thinking gets skewed that we do our best blog posts!! I love the way you captured the pigeon on the fountain, the beautiful purple on his chest!

Brian King said...

It actually looks like part of the fountain!

eileeninmd said...

I love the pretty pigeon, the colors are beautiful. And your hodge podge answers are great. I had a few laughs this morning.Thanks! Have a happy day!

A Colorful World said...

Great picture!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun post. Made me think a little and smile too!

Anonymous said...

Light hearted post! Enjoy your Fourth!