Monday, April 7, 2014

Rubbish Tuesday

Does anyone remember all the advertising on barns, etc along the highways? I do. Mostly what I remember from around here are the Meramec Caverns and Mail Pouch Tobacco signs. I remember on a trip to Tennessee once I saw ads for Rock City. This is one remaining along Route 40 here in Illinois.

The building is about to tumble down. If it wasn't for the missing sheets of tin, this sign would be in pretty good shape.

There is something about old things that has caught my interest. Before my blogging break, I thought about making this idea into a meme, but never did. Now that Barn Charm is no more, I decided to post old things on Tuesdays. The idea would be to post a photograph of anything old and deteriorating i.e. house, barn, outbuilding, something rusty, antiques, interesting junk, or just plain old. If you would like to join in, feel free.

Happy Tuesday!


12 comments:

Annesphamily said...

I love the photo. I love shooting photos of barns, particularly old barns. I love the vintage look of the days gone by. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can still see George Strait someday. :-)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I always enjoy old signs too. It would make a good meme.

EG CameraGirl said...

Ah, memories. I agree with Lisa that your idea is a good one for a meme.

TexWisGirl said...

i think there would be a lot of folks who have stuff to contribute. i once considered a meme for 'rust' but knew i'd have to really hunt for new things in this area. :)

Unknown said...

I like the ranches that have their Ranch Name and/or brand on the barn roof.

Good Luck with Old Things on Tuesday. Sounds like fun.

Nancy said...

Reminds me of the highway to South Dakota's Wall Drug. Good use of real estate. :)

Gail Dixon said...

That sounds like a really fun meme! I found an old barn not far from here that had an advertisement on the sides and thought it made for a fun photo subject. For a crumbling structure, the ad is very colorful!

Jenn Jilks said...

We have a barn along our route. It says something about Jesus is our saviour.
I just don't know...
Signage is fun, though.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

sounds fun. i will try to remember. ( :

i wish it was something that we still had. i guess i am one of few in my age group that loves this kind of memorabilia .... it freakin' rocks!! such style, character, & fun too!

Brian King said...

I see more advertising on barns in the South...or at least it seems that way. Here in Kentucky it's not very common. Not in horse country, anyway.

Molly the Airedale said...

What a cool roof! Too bad the building is in such bad shape :-(

lisa lewicki hermanson said...

I am an enthusiast for signs, old things and vintage as well, especially "finds" like the roof of this barn. Coincidentally, I just posted a photo of a weathered mural painted on the side of a building on my blog. Good luck with Rubbish Tuesday,great idea.